Natural travel health tips to get you ready for spring break!
Its hard to believe its already spring break! For those of you headed to a nice sunny destination, it couldn’t come any sooner. Staying healthy on your trip is a must! Nothing ruins a trip like food poisoning, sunburns or insect bites.
Travelling can leave us vulnerable to infections because now we are in a new environment, exposed to different insects, water, people and we don’t have full control of cleanliness in our environment.
Of course, natural medicine comes to the rescue!!! Here are my natural travel health tips to keep you & your family healthy during spring break.
1. Prevent stomach related illnesses (traveler’s diarrhea, food-borne illness)
There are great natural supplements to keep your digestive system healthy on your trip. Add these supplements to your travel medical kit to avoid traveler’s diarrhea and other gastrointestinal illness.
- The #1 supplement I recommend when you are travelling to other parts of the world is a high quality probiotic. These good bacteria increase our immunity to harmful parasites, bacteria, viruses and fungus. Start your high quality probiotic 1 week before your trip and take everyday on your trip. Find one that provides at least 10 billion units of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
- Oregano oil. Yes, its tastes nasty! But it works! I would never travel without my oregano oil. This oil is a strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent. Take 2 drops of high quality oregano oil in a small amount of water everyday. If you get a sore throat, gargle with this oil/water mixture and swallow two times a day.
- Grapefruit seed extract. This STRONG anti-bacterial agent is excellent to use either for prevention or at the first sign of a stomach problem. Take 2 drops diluted in water. NEVER use full strength as it will burn!!!
2. Natural Ways To Prevent Insect Bites !!!Whether you are in a foreign country or in our own backyard, it is important to prevent being bitten by mosquitos and other insects, as they carry viruses and bacteria. Keep them away! Essential oils are a great way to keep insects away. Insects usually stay away from the strong smells of these oils. You can put a few drops of these oils in distilled water and spritz on your body. You can add a few drops in baby oil or aloe vera gel and rub on your skin. Please always avoid the mouth and eye area as essential oils can burn these sensitive areas. Some of my favorite oils include:
- Citronella oil
- Lavender oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Basil oil
- Thyme oil
- Tea Tree oil
- Peppermint oil
- Lemongrass oil
- Tea tree oil
2010 study from Journal of Insect medicine: Essential oils of oregano, thyme and myrtle were 100% effective at killing the insects tested. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20578885
Eucalyptus oil as an insecticide http://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/13si6.pd
Thiamine is a B Vitamin. It is very effective in keeping mosquitoes away. It is said to work by making your sweat smell unattractive to insects. Don’t worry, humans can’t detect this change in smell.
Dosage: 5-50mg twice a day while on your trip.
3. Natural Ways to Prevent Sunburns!
Sunburns are nasty! They are a result of the ultraviolet radiation from the sun, hitting our skin and creating free radicals in our skin. These free radicals cause the burn, blisters, redness and increase the risk of developing skin cancer.
There is a lot of research on the benefits of antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene and green tea in protecting our skin from sunburns.
Most of the research indicates a minimum of 8 weeks use to prevent sunburns. However there is nothing wrong with starting now, before your trip, and continuing until summer when you can really enjoy the benefits of the antioxidants on your skin.
- Vitamin C: 2000mg per day
- Vitamin E: 800IU mixed tocopherols per day
- At least 2 cups of green tea per day or capsules containing EGCG
4. How to prevent jet lag using melatonin.
Dealing with jet lag is always bothersome, especially for those 3-7 day getaways to different time zones. I find melatonin to be one of the best ways to prevent jet lag and enjoy your trip as soon as you get there! Here is the dosage I use:
- Set your watch to the destination time when you are on the plane.
- Take 3 mg melatonin on the airplane at 10pm destination time (or bedtime at your destination).
- This will tell your body its time to go to sleep, you should sleep on the plane.
- Expose yourself to bright light in the daytime hours upon arrival at your destination to shut down your own body’s production of melatonin.
- Take 3 mg melatonin at bedtime once at your destination.
- This dosage and regimen should reset your sleep clock and prevent jet lag.
The Vegas IV!
The Vegas IV is a great way to increase your immune system and energy before going on a trip. It is also a great way to prevent hangovers when you are travelling.
The Vegas IV is a combination of vitamins, minerals and botanicals administered intravenously. This combination works great before your travels. Click here to learn more about the Vegas IV.
Natural remedies work great on your whole family, especially children who can be very sensitive to chemicals found in standard products. Remember, prevention is the best way to treat anything! Keep your immune system strong, eat a good diet, take the suggested nutrients on a daily basis, and have your natural remedies with you in case you need them. And most of all................. ENJOY YOUR SPRING BREAK!!!!!!!!!
At Vitalia Health Care, we develop individualized programs to meet your specific health needs.
We understand that no two people are the same. From a 1 hour initial evaluation, we can customize a plan that is specific to your goals. This includes our weight loss programs, specific nutrition evaluations and consultations, and developing a supplemental program specific to your health needs. Call us today at 604-566-9355.