ADHD Treatment Vancouver
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is among the most common Neurobehavioral disorder in children. Approximately 11% of children worldwide 4-17 years of age have been diagnosed with ADHD as of 2011. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724232/ This percentage continues to increase. Boys are more likely than girls to be diagnosed.
Children diagnosed with ADHD show symptoms of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. Although behavioural therapy is usually first line, many children are prescribed medications such as Adderall and Ritalin.
Research in the emerging field of complementary medicine using dietary interventions, herbal and nutritional therapies show great promise in the treatment of ADHD using these therapies. Approximately 50% of parents of ADHD children used these treatments alone or in combination with other drugs or substances https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12584479 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10571757
Naturopathic Doctors are leaders in the field of complementary medicine. We focus on the underlying biochemical imbalances that may be contributing to the symptoms of ADHD. We then utilize science based natural therapies when developing a treatment plan for your child.
Specific areas we will investigate through a thorough medical history and lab testing include but are not limited to:
- Nutrient deficiencies https://vitaliahealthcare.ca/lab-tests/red-blood-cell-elements.html
- Food sensitivities https://vitaliahealthcare.ca/lab-tests/food-environmental-allergy.html
- Digestive health https://vitaliahealthcare.ca/lab-tests/GI-stool-effects-test.html
- Environmental toxins such as lead, mercury and aluminum https://vitaliahealthcare.ca/lab-tests/toxic-element-profiles.html
- Level of antioxidants
- Mitochondrial health
Emerging research does support the use of dietary interventions and natural treatments for ADHD.
*A 2014 study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry provided good evidence on the benefits of vitamins and minerals in the treatment of ADHD. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=24482441
*Research suggests certain children are more likely to develop ADHD when exposed to lead in their environment. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=26645203
*Nutritional deficiencies including low levels of Essential Fatty Acids, Zinc and Selenium have been associated with ADHD symptoms. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=7572706, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=22206662
*Research that dates back to the 1970’s suggest 50% of hyperactive kids are sensitive to artificial food colors, flavorings, preservatives and salicylates (Feingold 1973, Why Your Child is Hyperactive).
Laboratory tests we may order include:
- lead and mercury
- Omega 3 and 6 panel
- Amino Acids
- Organic Acid Test
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis
Treatments goals include:
- Dietary recommendations including the removal of food allergens, additives and preservatives, Gluten and Casein free, removal of high fructose corn syrup.
- Vitamin/mineral therapy based on your child’s unique deficiencies and needs.
- Optimize digestive health including the treatment of yeast, bacteria and parasites.
- Antioxidants such as Glutathione
- Supporting mitochondrial function
- Supporting methylation
If your child has been diagnosed with ADHD and you would like to discuss research based natural treatment options available, schedule an appointment today with one of our highly trained Naturopathic Doctors.